Bella Griffith Smith, Lirico Spinto Soprano, performed with the Palm Beach Opera; Brevard Opera, North Carolina; Miami Philharmonic Opera Lyrica; and in concerts in Toronto, New York and South Florida. She is the founder of the Coral Gables Chamber Symphony & Opera. She is still active as a vocal coach and classical music promoter.
Scroll down to listen to a 1968 concert.
Bella appeared in concerts as Turandot, Salome, Selika, Isabella, Helmwige, Countess, Aida, Ernani and in oratoria.
“(as Micaela) “Crystal tones, unequaled by many would-be stars in the realm of opera.”
“A Butterfly more physically expressive and a beautifully -colored voce with secure top notes which project well”
Palm Beach Post
“(as the Countess) Bella Smith has a wonderful voice.”
Brevard, North Carolina
“(Tosca) Powerful, well-controlled singing, impassioned and impressive Butterfly Went straight to the heart, vocally and dramatically, resonant, vibrant extra-dimension, a well-proportioned mixture of delicacy and strength.”
Voice & Music Studies
- Private Studies with Howard Thain (A.R.C.M.) – The Royal College of Music, London, England. (Howard Thain, pupil of Enrico Rosati, teacher of Beniamino Gigli and Mario Lanza. Also studied with Stracciari, Panzera, Thill, Raphael, and others.) Howard Thain also has concert recordings under the Pearl Record Label. The United Kingdom.
- Private Studies with Dr. Paul Csonka, Conductor, Palm Beach Opera.
- Private Studies with Giuseppe Campora, Tenor of La Scala Opera and the Metropolitan Opera
Awards & Recognition
Marquis Who’s Who – Wilmette, Illinois
Who’s Who in Entertainment – Wilmette, Illinois
Who’s Who in the South and Southwest – Wilmette, Illinois
Who’s Who in the Word – Wilmette, Illinois
Who’s Who of American Women – Wilmette, Illinois
American Biographical Institute – Raleigh, North Carolina
Two Thousand Notable Women (A.B.I.) – Raleigh, North Carolina
World Institute of Achievements (A.B.I.) – Raleigh, North Carolina
International Biographical Centre, Fellow – Cambridge, England
Who’s Who of Intellectuals – Cambridge, England
Miami Lighthouse for the Blind – Miami, Florida
Dade County Girl Scouts – Miami, Florida
Girl Scout Council of Tropical Florida, Inc. – Miami, Florida
The Diamond Award, Noticias Del Mundo – New York, New York
Friendship Award – Federal Republic of Germany
l’Academy Du Var Passage De la Corderie – Marseille, France
National Music Museum 56 Laurie Park Gardens – London, England
1959-1984 Opera Singer
1977-2005 Artistic Director Opera Company
1977-2005 Public Relations
1977-2005 Video/Film Producer, Writer, Director
1984-2005 Vocal Coach
Musical Direction and Writing
- Developed the original concert/drama concept
- Produced, wrote and directed original film/video to acquaint high school students with opera
- Created and staged the original ballet (Introduction & Allegro by Ravel)
Film & Video
- Truncated original script of the African-American artist Paul Robeson
- Scenes of the Vietnam War
- Opera TOSCA
- The ROCKING HORSE, a children’s film (background music serves as introduction to the German masters)
- Channel 18 Coral Gables
Coral Gables Library for Children – 2 times
John Smith Elementary School
- Channel 17 (now WLRN) – Dade County Educational Channel
- Worked and coordinated presentation of 120 Members of the U.S. Army Band and Chorus and the Herald Trumpets.
- Coordinated project with the French consulate for the Bicentennial of the French Revolution
- Worked with German Consulate for concerts and a special concert for the Day of Germany Unity – October 3, 1990.
- Cultural Chairman for the Coral Gables People to People Program
- Special Events Chairman for the United States Army – Gulf Stream Chapter
Appearances and Performances
- Palm Beach Opera – Palm Beach, Florida
- Opera Lyrica – Lake Worth, Florida
- Greater Miami Opera – Miami, Florida
- Brevard Music Series – Brevard, North Carolina
- Greater Miami Philharmonic – Miami, Florida
- Miami Music Club – Miami, Florida
- Flagler Museum – Palm Beach, Florida
- Breakers Hotel – Palm Beach, Florida
- Norton Gallery of Art – West Palm Beach, Florida
- Hungarian Jewish Association – Toronto, Canada
- North Miami Beach Concert Series – North Miami, Florida
- Boca Raton Hotel and Club – Boca Raton, Florida
- Miami Dade Junior College – Miami, Florida
- Palm Beach Junior College – Palm Beach, Florida
- soloist at numerous churches and synagogues
Summary of Qualifications
- Experience in management of all aspects of opera production since 1977.
- Experience in coaching vocal technique and career development.
- Especially skilled in personnel management among artists and musicians.
- Maintained solvency since the incorporation of the Coral Gables Chamber Symphony and Opera Company in 1977.